6. XAS upgrades
preliminary location of this page is at IFCTR
interim location of this page should be at ITESRE
final location of this page should be at SAX-SDC
In order to make life easier, it is planned to distribute upgrades to XAS
on a module-by-module basis, more than making "full releases".
The following simple cases may be considered :
- an existing program is modified and must be recompiled
- an existing routine is modified, it must be recompiled and all
programs depending on it must be reloaded
- similarly if an include file is modified, all modules depending on
it must be recompiled or reloaded
- a new program and/or a new routine are added
- new routines are added but are now called also by old programs
- other more complex cases are possible (new libraries ...)
The facilities for building XAS under Unix are based on make and
the necessary Makefiles are generated automatically by the
to be checked by Daniele Dal Fiume
- cases 1, 2 and 3 above can be handled installing the new source files
and just using option 3 of xasbuild (i.e. a plain make).
- cases 4 and 5 will be handled distributing not only source files, but
also updated dependency files (located in $XASTOP/config/Depend).
Once all such files are installed, do
- a run of xasbuild option 2 with the -clean -create options to update
- a run of xasbuild option 2 with default conditions to compile and link
- xasbuild has capabilities to handle more complex cases, but is intended to
use these capabilities only at a central site, and distribute updates so that
XAS users may just do as above
The facilities for building XAS under VMS are extremely primitive and simple, and
do not allow automatic management of dependencies so far.
Volunteers to convert xasbuild to VMS Posix make are welcome !
So far individual modules must be recompiled and reloaded manually (some limited
facilities are provided in the [.CONFIG] subdirectory).
Look at the AAA.README file there, which also contains some hints about
handling dependencies manually.