There is no such thing as a "current" release
XAS is being worked on continuously by and is actively used at SAX Institutes.
Because of this activity there is not yet such a thing as a publicly released
might provide a "status of the art" XAS distribution and would in future
care after distribution of SAX software to the community.
Current release is XAS 1.1
The information below here (part of the original Web pages set up a couple of years
ago) points to a quite old prototype lacking of many of the present "flight"
functionalities. This was however the prototype of distribution arranged care of
Facilities for guided XAS installation exist in an interim form and
This release includes software developed at IFCTR, ITESRE (the xasbuild
tool, part of the Unix VOS) and IFCAI (fromfits 1.4).
It does not include the saxsim software and the VMS TD dd emulator
developed at IAS.
Hilights and changes vs XAS 1.0
For a longer description see the release notes included in the doc
directory in the XAS distribution.
- XAS libraries have been rearranged
- The teukolsky library originally included in XAS 1.0 has been
removed for copyright reasons. It included a few selected routines adapted
for the Numerical Recipes book. It is not used by any official XAS program.
Holders of a valid Numerical Recipes right of access may apply to me for a
- A number of bugs have been fixed
- The demo and prototype programs developed since XAS 1.0 have been inserted.
- Some of the demos have been promoted to the level of prototypes (inclusive
of all the graphics client-server stuff)
- However, unlike XAS 1.0, the programs having a "draft" numbering (0.n) have
not been renumbered to 1.0.
- The xasbuild tool for Unix is included